Tuesday, August 19, 2008

What's kept me away...

I apologise for the lack of posts lately, it has ended up being a very busy summer!

At the beginning of the month I received a call from the summer camp I used to work at asking me if I would be able to come help them out for a week or two since they were so short staffed and of course I had to say yes! Even though most of their staff are a good five years younger than me, I love camp and can never stay away! It was a great week and I got to know some really fantastic girls! I was teaching wilderness adventure which was interesting to say the least. Although I took wilderness adventure as a camper I had never in my life taught it. All the years I was at camp I taught archery so to skip over to building fires and shelters... was interesting. It was a ton of fun though and I am so glad I did it. I also got to know some awesome cabin leaders (most of them being 17 or 18) and it was great to talk with them and get to know them a bit. Some days I felt like a teenager again and others I just felt really, really old! Below is a picture of my cabin (minus one camper) on aerobics night.



After counseling at the summer camp, I spent a long weekend with my friend at her cottage. Megan and I actually met at Mini-Yo-We (the summer camp I worked at) and have been friends ever since! She is an awesome girl with a heart for missions and we get along really well. It was so nice to just sit back and relax all weekend long. you never actually realize how desperately you need a break until you actually take one!

This past week I went down to North Carolina where one of my good friends was getting married. Amber (better known as Bramber because both my roommates had the same name) was one of my roommates at the Door of Hope in South Africa. Originally from NC, she lived and worked with me at DOH for two years. While in South Africa, the Ambers (both my roommates) and I became good friends with Craig and Justin (Craig is also an American, and Justin is South African) and the five of us became BFF's! Near the end of Brambers stay, her and Justin got closer and close but only started dating once she had actually left South Africa. None of us ever though then, that a year later we would all be together in the US, standing up and supporting the marriage of our two dear friends. It was an amazing weekend and a beautiful wedding. It was so nice for all of us to be together again especially since we don't know when that will happen again. All I know is that I am blessed to have such great friends! ( I will post a few pictures from the wedding as soon as I get them on here)

I guess though, that the most exciting news that I have is that I finally received my visa and have booked my ticket to South Africa! It was a bit of a battle to get the embassy to give me my visa but in the end, God worked it out! Now I will be leaving Canada on the 10th of September and I will arrive in South Africa on the 12th. It seems so weird because for months I have been talking about going back and have been planning to go back but now that the ticket is booked and it is actually happening, I have a bit of anxiety. There is just so much to get done, and so many good-byes to say. However I cannot wait to see my kids again! There is a handful of kids still there from when I was there last year and I cannot wait to see them again and to hold them close. I am so excited to get over there and get busy. With that said I guess I should end this so that I can start to pack up my life and move it over to the country that has stolen my heart.

So this is it! There will only be one or two more posts from Canada and then the real news will start as I begin my life in South Africa and become a mommy to many.

No comments: