So I made it to South Africa and yes I am still alive!
I arrived on the 12th of September (a Friday) and hit the ground running! that night I had dinner with the director of Door of hope, Saturday we had the grand opening of the new house, Sunday was spent with Stan and Maureen (my South African parents), Monday we had 4 adoptions, Tuesday we had Big Shoes (the medical clinic our kids go to for blood work and things), Wednesday I sorted things out (like a bank account), and then Thursday we went to Cape Town (dad had come over with me for two weeks). We were in Cape Town from Thursday until Tuesday.
The main reason of my visit was because there is a children's home in Cape Town that Door of Hope is hoping to take over and run. It is owned by the Western Province Baptist Association but it is currently being run by an independent lady who basically wanted DOH to support the house but wanted to run things her own way. Door of Hope said that we cannot get involved with anyone not willing to live up to the standard of our care.
Anyway, when we went and saw the house it was so sad. The house itself looked junky and run down. They have more kids then they are legally allowed to have and most of the kids have come from some sort of abusive background and there is no staff member trained in how to deal with abuse. Just a few days ago there was actually an article in the newspaper that had nothing nice to say about the house and how it is currently being run. We are in the process of creating a contract with the Western Province Baptist Association and hopefully soon we will hear if we can make this house a Door of Hope house. Please pray that God would show us very clearly how to go about this and what His will for the Rainbow house is.
We also took some time out just to enjoy Cape Town and for me to relax a bit before I got back into the swing of things. The weather was perfect and our trip was so blessed.
On Tuesday we headed back to Johannesburg and on Wednesday dad flew home.
I have been back at work for a week and a half now and I have already had to take three different kids to the hospital for different reasons. We have also had five new babies and three more adoptions.
I think the hardest thing with being back is that things have gone downhill since I have been gone. I had set up many different activities for the babies (such as swimming lessons) and none of them are happening any more. I had taught the staff how to make our own baby food so that we didn't have to buy jar food but that has now completely stopped. I made house rules that included things like "All babies must be outside for at least 30 minutes a day weather depending" and none of those are being followed anymore. I know the girls left in charge were pretty young but I am shocked at how things have become. They are still doing a great job but I think we can always do better. So I will be busy reintroducing things and seeking new ways to better care for our kids.
Besides all that, I love having my babies back! There are a few here that were here when I left and it was so good to see them again! Some of them even remembered me and gave me a big hug when they saw me! I have already fallen in love with a few that need a little extra TLC!
Tomorrow (Sunday) we have dedications at church (we dedicate all babies that come to us) and then on Monday we have another adoption! Life doesn't slow down even if I wanted it to :)
So that is it from me! I am off to bake a cake for one of our little boys who will turn 1 this weekend.
Please continue to pray for Patience as I work to get things back up to the standard I had them set to!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment