Friday, June 3, 2011

How Could Anyone Say No?

I have written many times about babies who have had special needs that would hinder their adoption. I have also written about many babies who have proven the world wrong, and found a forever family. There are some that I have never written about, that have been moved to a special needs home, or have even passed away. Even in my pictures post, I talked about two different little boys who may never have a family. All of these kids, whether I write about them or not, are important to me! Sometimes though, I feel like there are ones that I need to write about. Maybe so that someone will pray for a family to come forward, maybe so someone will adopt them, or maybe it will just inspire someone to get involved somehow. Either way, when I write about certain kids, it is with a hope that they will touch your heart like they have mine and urge you to get involved somehow.

So with that said, I want to tell you about two little boys I met while in South Africa last month. They are twin brothers who were abandoned at birth. Both were premature but one of them has severe brain damage. A CT scan shows a lot of fluid and not enough brain. The other twin however, is (besides being premature) completely healthy.

When I first arrived there, I heard that the social worker was thinking about splitting the boys up. She thought she would look for a home for the healthy one and find an institution for the other one. She though the family of the healthy boy could just come and visit the special needs boy.

As soon as I heard that I thought "no way!". Now I know that taking on a child with such severe special needs is a lifetime commitment, and a HUGE thing to take on, but if I was the adoptive mother of the healthy boy and found out about his sibling, there is NO WAY I could ever leave the other one behind just because he didn't fit into the worldly view of "normal". How could I say, I only want the healthy one? Now please don't get me wrong, I know a severely handicapped child is not any mother's dream, but what if I had given birth to these twins? Would I throw the one away because he was not "whole"? Would I leave him laying in a bed all day long because he was too much work? Would I be selfish enough to run from the commitment of caring for him as long as he should need? NEVER! What mother out there would ever leave their child just because they were not what you had hoped for?

I immediately spoke to the paediatrician and asked if she couldn't at least do a medical report on him so that they could try to find a family willing to take both boys? I know that there is a VERY slim chance of finding someone to take them both BUT I could not live with myself if I didn't at least try to find them a family; because what if there is a family out there for these boys who just needs to know about them? If we don't even put them for adoption together, how would we be able to say that we had done everything we could for him?

In the two weeks I was there, I fell in love with this little boy (and his very happy, healthy brother). Yes, he was a lot of work. He drinks slowly, he is very stiff, and he cries a lot. At the same time though, there are moments when he is focused on your face, and you know that deep inside him somewhere, he is smiling at you. He deserves a family just as much as his brother does!

Please pray for these boys with me. The social worker doesn't really think it is even worth looking, but she is considering it. Please pray that the social workers, doctors, and staff would all agree to put them up for adoption together. Pray that there would be a family for these boys. Lastly, please pray for healing! We serve a BIG God who created these boys and will supply ALL their needs!! Trusting God for a miracle for these boys!

Meet two very handsome men...



No comments: