Friday, December 23, 2011

Long Overdue

Yes, I realize that it has been three months since my last post. I would've warned my faithful readers if I had known just how neglected my blog would be.

Starting my BScN has been a LOT more work than I had anticipated. Last year (well from Jan to Aug) when I was doing a Pre Health certificate, I found the workload manageable. It obviously took some time to get back into the routine of being in school, but it did not run my life.

Nursing on the other hand, is a different story! Nursing is not full of slackers like the Pre Health program was. Nursing is full of super smart people who like to make everything a competition. There is a ton of pressure and commitment for these nursing students. Nursing is not a degree that you do because you think it could possibly be a little fun. Nursing has to be in your blood; your heart has to beat a selfless beat, and you need to know without a doubt that this is exactly what you want to do with your life. These nursing students are intense and it has been overwhelming to say the least. I learned very quickly that I was going to have to work my butt off to make it in this program.

With that said, I am LOVING it! This first semester has been hard, and REALLY boring sometimes! Nursing Theory as well as my Anatomy/Physiology classes have probably been my leave favourite. I am a hands on and practical kind of girl. I do not need to know why something happens or how it happens, just tell me it happens and that is good enough! So it has taken some attitude adjustments in those areas, but overall I am learning a lot! I eat sleep and breath nursing. I have no life! Thankfully God has provided me with some wonderful friends at school. I was even able to arrange for a class pot luck, as well as a semester celebration at the end of the year. This group of 40 strangers has now become my nursing family over the next four years and I am so blessed to have them! I also have three wonderful people that I carpool with (since the school is an hour away) who have become my little car pool family. It really is so fun.

Starting in January I will have a placement in a geriatrics ward in a local hospital. I am nervous but so excited because I know that this is when I will learn the most. I can finally be hands on in helping make peoples lives just a little bit better!

Anyway, since I have three weeks off I plan on posting at least two more blogs; one of Door of Hope and one about me personally. That way, I will hopefully have everyone caught up on the happenings in my life! For now here are some pictures... :)





My partner (for pretty much anything where you need a partner) Alexa


My carpool family (from L to R) Sherry, Harold, Myself, and Alexa

1 comment:

ShirleynKate said...

You look so good in the uniform!!! Good for you for pushing on even when you think you can't take it one second longer! Love the circle of dedicated people around you who motivate you! You need that!