Monday, September 5, 2011

Here goes nothing!

After a year of talking about it, and planning for it, the day has finally arrived! Tomorrow will be my first day in the BSCN program at Seneca/York. I wouldn't say that I am particularly excited about school. In fact the more I think about it, the more I wonder if I will actually make it as a nurse. I mean, yes, I do have a lot of "nurse type" experience from working at Door of Hope for so many years, but nursing is so much more than that! Will I be able to care for people without passing out or vomiting at the sight of something gross? Can I change an adult diaper as nonchalantly as I do a baby's?  I guess when I think about it, I have already done things that a lot of people wouldn't be able to do or see... I'm just hoping I can handle everything that the life as a nurse entails! I guess we'll find out!

Since I only had two weeks off between school, and since I had to spend last week getting things ready, I also planned in a trip to North Carolina! For two of the years that I was in South Africa, God gave me two awesome room-mates, who have now become two of my best friends. Both of the are called Amber, so since one is blonde and one is brunette, I just refer to them as "Blamber" or "Bramber". Bramber actually married a South African, and they now live in North Caroline. On August 13th they welcome their very first baby into the world. Nine days later, Blamber (who is from Wisconsin) and I flew down to meet baby Colin and to help Brambs with her new baby. Not only was it good for my heart, to have a small baby to hold, it was also SO nice to have a week with the Ambers. Most of the week was spent hanging out, staring at Colin, with a few shopping trips and a reunion with some other past volunteers thorn in there too. It was a wonderful week and was so hard to say goodbye! I'll never understand why God has chosen to put such great friends so very far away, but I cherish the times that we can spend together.

So this new chapter begins! My nursing degree is just 4 years away! Wish me luck... here goes nothing!







No comments: