Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Neverending Journey to RN

Well it seems that the longer I am in Canada, and the more absorbed I become in school, the more my blogging suffers. Part of it is because I really don't have time. The other part of it is because I feel like I don't really have anything interesting to say. However I know that there are faithful followers who look forward to updates, no matter how scarce or mundane they may be. So I guess this will be a review of 2013 and a look at 2014!

2013 was busy! Nursing school is not a joke. Every year just seems to get more and more intense and the workload is rarely manageable. I finished my 2nd year of school back in April of 2013. I also turned 30. I've never really cared much about my age, because honestly I still feel like I am in my 20ies.

This past summer was extremely busy but also wonderful. Out of 500 applicants, I was chosen to be the summer student intern at a place called SickKids International. The Hospital for Sick Children is our big Children's hospital here in Toronto, and it is well known worldwide. SickKids International is the for-profit international side of sick kids. I was hired to work full time under the director of education. It was a huge learning curve for me to be in the corporate world, but an opportunity that I am so thankful for. I was exposed to a different side of international work, and have learnt a lot from my summer there.

I also had a Swedish visitor come and stay with me for a few weeks this summer. It was so wonderful to have her as a part of our family, and I was sad to see her go. We were able to see a bit of Toronto, and also do some shopping in the US. She even went to summer camp for a week! It was such a treat to host her.

I also had my best friend come over from Australia which was fantastic. It is so hard to have her on the other side of the world, and so having time to hang out with her was just what I needed to end my summer with. We even took a road trip down to North Carolina to visit some other volunteers from Door of Hope, and then drove down to Florida, where we picked up yet another past Door of Hope volunteer, and then headed out on a cruise to the Bahamas. It was great.

Despite all the wonderful visitors and the fantastic summer job, I have to say that the best part of my year happened on August 10th 2013, when I became an Aunt by blood! My littler sister gave birth to her first child, and I became a an Aunt! My nephew is so cute, and I love him so much. I am so thankful that I am in Canada and can spend so much time with him. I know the day will come when this won't be possible and so I cherish every moment.

In September, I got a job that I had applied for in 2012. I work as a personal support worker (kind of like a nurse's assistant) at Toronto's first Children's Hospice. Many people think I am crazy to want to work at a place where children go to die, but I would not trade it for the world! I love my job! The staff, the clients, the families; it is such a special place and I pick up as many shifts as I can between my classes and placements. Unfortunately, this means that I don't really have much of a life! When I am not in school, I am working. I don't mind though, it helps develop my nursing skills, and brings in some money!

2014 is looking like it will be a great, but busy year! I am finally more than half way through my nursing degree and can now start to plan for my return to South Africa! Please join me in prayer as I start the initial planning stage, that God would speak clearly about where I should be, and what exactly I should be doing.

Thanks for following; I will try my best to update more than once a year! :)

No comments: