Life has not slowed down; in fact it has become a bit crazy! As most of you know I was hired as a casual PSW at the first Children's Hospice to open here in Toronto where we offer end of life and respite care to children with life limiting illnesses. In September of this year, I was promoted to part time which now means that I work 24 hours a week. This makes me a bit busy, but I absolutely love the work that I get to do there. This summer we ran two weeks of summer camp for some of our clients and I loved every minute of it!
Also in September I was hired as a "clinical extern" at a well known children's hospital here in Toronto. This is a special role created for nursing students in their final year of school, in order to start integrating them into the hospital setting. As a clinical extern I am able to support the nurses with any needs they may have. My goal is to work at this hospital upon graduation, and this paid position should help that happen.
On top of working 36 hours a week, I am still doing school full time which includes a 12 hour clinical placement day. I was also voted into the position of Vice President for my school's Nursing Student Association. This allows me to be a voice for the students and to promote positive changes for the students to come.
To say that I am busy would be an understatement. I am slightly overwhelmed with all that I have to do but honestly, I would not have it any other way. I love both my jobs and am extremely blessed to have been hired into each of the roles; both are potential job opportunities upon graduation.
So now the question that everyone is asking is "what's next?" That is a great question! As of right now, I do not really know. My ideal plan would be to work as a paediatric nurse in Canada for six months in order to gain experience while saving up some money. I would love to be back in South Africa as soon as possible but I have to plan properly for it. For now I have no time to worry about anything but finishing this last year of school; starting with a midterm tomorrow.
3 comments:
Two posts in one year?! ;)
Congrats on being in the final stretch, Steph! Sounds like you are insanely busy. I will be praying for you. My husband has been working as a registered nurse since December 2011, but just got his bachelors degree in nursing in August. I love reading your updates!
Ok, ready for another update. =) Are you finished with nursing school now?
Tomorrow is an exciting day because it is your birthday! We will be praying for you tomorrow that God will bless you in an abundant way (are we the firsts to send you birthday blessings? ;-)) and we can't wait to see what God has in store for you the year ahead! It must be very special!
Know you will always have a special place in our hearts!
All the way from the Netherlands,
Much love from one of your special ones and her family,
A.
Post a Comment