Last night when I got home from work I knew exactly what I was going to blog about but the later it got in the day, the more I had to say.
Yesterday afternoon while working at my desk, Clementine (our secretary) brought the newspaper over to me to show me an article about a body of a baby girl that had been found wrapped in newspapers and laying in the street. They were looking for anyone with information about the baby. As I read this short little article my heart broke for this nameless, faceless gift from God. I never met her but my arms began to ache for her, wanting to hold her and love her in those short hours of her life. I suddenly wished desperately that I could see her face and give her a name and make her a somebody! This little life had died before it even begun and there was no one even there to take notice.
Later in the evening as I was getting ready for my yoga class, I got a call from Kate (our director) asking if I could come watch her kids because her nephew (our general manager's son) had gone into ICU. Caeden had been admitted to hospital earlier in the day and they had found that his shunt was blocked and that they would need to do surgery that evening. I told Kate I would be right over and 12 minutes later as I walked in the door Kate told me that it was too late and that Caeden was gone.
Kate's father-in-law and brother-in-law brought Caeden's big brother over and then the family went off to the hospital to say their final goodbyes. As I sat on the sofa with the three kids, Caeden's big brother (who didn't know Caeden was gone) said "Caeden needs to go to Jesus now but he is still at the hospital". My heart broke.
As the night went on, I watched an already tight knit family, come even closer to each other as they grieved together and mourned together while supporting each other. Such tragedy, such sorrow, so many broken hearts. So many questions and thoughts left unsaid. So much love for such a precious miracle boy. He had a name. He had a family. He was loved unconditionally before he was even born. He has a family that despite the pain so deep in their hearts, would do it all again if they had to because they know that he was God's gift to them and they cherished every moment. People mourn his death and celebrate his life. He was a beautiful somebody!
Baby girl with no name lays in a government hospital waiting for the day that they do a mass cremation for all the unclaimed bodies. Who will mourn her death? Or celebrate her short life? How many more babies die as nobodies? What will you do to make these children a somebody? What are you doing today to save the babies of tomorrow? When will we get off our butts and come out of our bubbles to see the need all around us.
Please pray for Caeden's family. It is still such a shock. Please keep them in your prayers as they prepare for their final goodbyes and try to figure our how life will go on from here.
Please pray for baby girl and all the other ones like her. Ask God what you should be doing.
"Break my heart for what breaks Yours,
Everything I am for Your kingdom come."
http://www.thecitizen.co.za/index/article.aspx?pDesc=114504,1,22
http://www.360news.co.za/south-africa/12-Apr-2010/247068-body-newborn-baby-found-bushes.html
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20100413043727343C166541%20
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?art_id=vn20100304042907572C589347
http://allafrica.com/stories/201003290635.html
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dear aunt Stephanie,
When we read your blog we are even more aware that life and dead are so close but also so different in certain ways but Gods plans for us are good plans for the future even in difficult times hard to see.. But our story is maybe à bit of à comfort...
Today we the funny twins N&M are celebrating our first birthday. We are growing so well almost 9 kg now. We have both 5 teeth that makes our smiles even better ( was that possible???) we are playing à lot and M can walk Ans dance, with à little help.. but almost on his own. N is chatting really from 7 till 7.. We love bread with peanutbutter now and strawberries ( almost summer 'here) are mouthwatering.. Today we have our first party celebrating our life!! But not without thinking and thanking of THE love of God for us, the love of our african mum and the love and care of you and all people in the doh. Miracles do happen in a year.. Who expected us to survive and be such sunny blessings in the life of so many all over the world!! We give you à big smile to comfort and encourage you and all others because with THE love and protection of our Father and all who gave us life THE first part of our first year, We have the life we never dreamed of.. We pray that the good work and the gospel will continues to work in many good and mysterious ways.. Love and ( wet) kisses from N&M and their mummy and daddy!!!
Post a Comment