Saturday, May 5, 2012

A Long Time

Today marks one full year since the last time I was in South Africa. I have not been away for this long since I first started volunteering in 2003, and it's hard! I miss my babies! I miss the Aunties and Uncles, and I miss my South African family. I miss the warm sunshine and the African sky. I miss having free medical services at my fingertips. I miss tanning on the roof with my flatmates, and swimming in the pool with my kids. I miss the exhausting hike up Barbara Ave after returning from the clinic with the babies. I miss getting phone calls about new arrivals. I miss the excitement and sorrow of adoption days; handing my baby over to strangers knowing it was all worthwhile. I miss my life.

 It was busy. It was hectic. It was stressful... but it was worth it; and I miss it! 3 more years.... :)

Also on this day last year, I spent the morning at Top Tots with one of my special toddlers. Top Tots is a mother and child play group where we would take some of the children. It was my special girls 2nd birthday and so after Top Tots, and before catching an evening flight back to Canada, we had a party for my little girl. (I posted a few pictures of her here). Well today, on her third birthday, she is celebrating it with her forever family! She was adopted just a few weeks ago to a famous Swedish singer. After many prayers and searching, she finally has a mommy!

Usually when the kids go for adoption, we rarely ever hear from them again. Once in awhile the adoption agency will show us some recent photo's, but even those usually get lost somewhere. For the most part, we hand the kids over praying God's protection on them, because we ourselves will never know what happens to them. The good news about this little girl though is that since her mom is famous, she is all over the news and even has a public blog! I am able to see pictures and read updates (thank you Google translate) on the happenings of my little girl. Another great part is that her adoptive mommy has kept the name that I gave her when she arrived at the Door of Hope. How special to know that she carries that name (a name that means "life") with her forever!

This summer hold exciting plans that I cannot wait to share! For now I am just enjoying not having to read a textbook!


No comments: