Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Honour of Naming

One of the greatest parts of my job while at DOH, was being able to name a baby. When I first went over to South Africa, I would choose a name because I liked it, and not necessarily because of its meaning. What I quickly learned however, was that the meaning of a name was actually more important than the name itself in the African culture. For example, a name like Bobo means the child was born on a certain day of the week. The name Nomvula means "Mother of rain" and would be giving to a child born on a rainy day or during the rainy season. Siphelele means "we are complete" and usually given to the last child born to a family. Then you have names like Siphiwe (given), Thabang (rejoice), or Thandiwe (loved one). Whatever the name is, parents chose it specifically with a purpose, for that child. It is more than just liking a certain name.

Another thing I learned along the way was just how important the name was to the adoptive family. Many times they would want to know who chose the name, why they chose it, and if they could meet that person. Again, it was more than just a name, it was a part of their life story and the families wanted as much detail as possible.

This why, while I was the Baby Care Manager, we decided as a team to let only full time staff, or volunteers who were with us for 6 or more months, to name a baby. That way hopefully the adoptive families would be able to meet the person who named their baby, and if not, they would at leats know the person had spent a significant amount of time loving of their child.

Sometimes we would have babies come and our house would be full, so we would have to refer them. At first I used to leave them nameless so that the house mother or staff at the new home could name the baby. Then I found out these babies would go days without a name, until it was assigned by the social worker. So I would give them a name.

I have named a lot of babies in the 7 years  that I spent in South Africa. Probably close to 50. I remember every one of them. I remember why I chose a name, and who the name belonged to. I would also try as much as possible to follow up with "my" babies if they had to be referred. When it was a staff or volunteers turn to name a baby, I had only one rule and it was that the meaning behind the name had to be a good one. I did not want a child with a name that means "bitterness" or "alone". I strongly believe when naming a child, you are speaking words into their life. Why would you want to speak bitterness or loneliness over a baby!?

A famous Swedish singer who adopted one of "my" babies, recently posted about how well the name suits her, and my heart was so glad. I put a lot of time and effort into the names, and it is such a blessing to know their name was meant for them!

As many things at DOH have changed since I left; the rule to naming babies is no exception. It seems that now a days, they are much more laid back when it comes to who can name a baby and what the name can mean. It makes me wonder if they realize just how much of an honour it is to give a child a name? Do they really understand that they are forever connected to that child? Do we stop to think about the importance of naming, or do we see it as a right, since we are investing and giving to the children?

To all my kids, wherever you are, I want you to know that your name was not a mistake. It was not a thoughtless scribble on your clinic card, or something given out at random. It was deliberate, prayed through, and it was such an honour! I am praying that God fulfils the promise of your name in your life!

(I stole this photo from my friend Nicole, who is the current Baby Manager at DOH. This is one of the babies I named)


1 comment:

Natalie said...

We actually took that custom with us when we left as we felt it was such a great thing. So our boys are named Collin (Victory--he was born early and so his life was in God's hands, and regardless of his "outcome", His life would be a "Victory") and Gabriel John (messenger of God, Gracious because he allowed Gabriel to be born full term! Also a family name.)