As I told you all in my previous post, four days before I was suppose to arrive in South Africa, my little girl passed away. She actually wasn't so little. She was two and a half years old. She is the oldest child that we have ever lost at Door of Hope. Just like the doctors had said she would; she aspirated in her sleep on an early Tuesday morning and passed away. One of the first things I did in South Africa, was plan for my girl's memorial service.
When Nomthandazo came to us, she was in a horrible state. She was literally as stiff as a board and had bedsores that were open and oozing. I knew when I saw this littler girl, that we were going to have to fight for her. And fight for her, we did! The world had given up on her. Doctors said it would be better for her to just die. They saw no hope or future in that little girl. But she proved them all wrong! She fought so hard! I am so proud of all that she accomplished! Without ever speaking a word, Thandaz shone the love of Jesus every single day.
Her memorial service was wonderful. It was heartbreaking to say goodbye but I rejoice in the fact that she has been healed completely!
When we got news of Nomthandazo's passing, there were many other international volunteers who were heartbroken over her loss. They had asked me to please let our little girl know how loved she was, how proud they were, and how much they were going to miss her. So once the service was over, and people could come to say their final goodbyes, I went and knelt down beside her. I told her about all of her Aunties all over the world who wished so much that they could be there that day. I told her how much they loved her. I gave her a kiss from each of them.
She looked so beautiful. So full of peace. It is hard to explain the emotion that I felt as I looked at her face. It was as if joy and sorrow were Siamese twins, consuming every inch of my heart; like it was a normal thing to be so happy yet so heartbroken at the same time. I was so thankful to be able to see her one last time; to say goodbye to one of my hero's in person. I wish everyone could have been as lucky as I, to have known this little girl. She was something special. I am so blessed. Although there were no legal papers making me her mother, I am one (of many) proud momma!!
No comments:
Post a Comment